Grace Design M201 AD 2 Chan MicPre & 24/192 AD
"It sounds very open and airy at the top end while also being extremely well extended and full at the bottom end, and that doesn't change with gain at all. It sounds big and spacious when working with stereo pairs, with completely stable and solid imaging" - Hugh Robjohns, SOS magazine
During its 12 years in production, the model 201 mic preamplifier found its way into countless recording facilities around the world, gathering a considerable amount of critical acclaim along the way. Now our classic two channel mic preamplifier has been completely redesigned and transformed into the m201.
Like the rest of our line, the new m201 delivers unmatched audio performance, with massive headroom, ultra-wide bandwidth and a very open, musical character. The signal path has been hot-rodded to be fully balanced from start to finish, resulting in a wider dynamic range, while new high-current output drivers enable even longer cable runs without signal loss. This means the m201 can translate a sonic picture of astonishing clarity and detail, which serves to capture the essential character of the music being recorded.
We offer the m201 with our state of the art 24-bit/192kHz A/D converter option, from the factory or as a retrofit to existing units. With the A/D converter module installed, the microphone preamplifier section or the M+S matrix can be routed to the A/D converter input directly for standard recording applications. Or, with the additional analog line inputs on the A/D converter module, the mic preamplifier and A/D converter sections can be used separately, which allows for external processing to be inserted between the mic amp and the A/D converter. External synchronization to word clock or Digidesign LoopSync is available, and features our proprietary dual stage PPL with s-Lock for extremely low jitter and rock solid digital stability without the use of sample rate conversion.
Our exclusive ribbon mic mode is standard, which shifts the gain range up 10dB while deactivating 48V phantom power, bypassing the decoupling capacitors and optimizing the input impedance. Each channel has an ‘input mode’ rotary switch which selects between a standard 48V phantom input, ribbon mic mode, a front panel DI input or optional DPA high voltage inputs (130V or 190V).
Included is our newly designed M+S (mid side) decoder circuitry with a built-in width control. The front panel width control is wired with a precision 12 position rotary switch which provides a ratio range from 100% mid (mono) to 30% mid / 70% side. The ultra-precision summing and difference amplifiers feed a set of dedicated outputs, allowing simultaneous recording of discrete mid+side signals as well as the stereo matrix.
The new front panel mounted HI-Z inputs are designed to accommodate a wide variety of high impedance input sources, making the m201 an excellent choice as a DI box which will flawlessly preserve the sound of any plugged-in instrument. Imagine the same resolution and detail as our microphone preamplifiers available for DI recording situations.
Whatever the application, the remarkable sonic performance and functionality of the new m201 will help you make the finest recordings of your career.
- fully balanced, transformerless design
- dual parallel XLR outputs for each channel
- ribbon mic mode
- front panel DI / instrument inputs
- DPA microphones 130V (190V) phantom power option
- built in M+S decoder with dedicated outputs and front panel width control
- precision 24 position gold contact rotary switch gain controls
- new, higher current outputs drive even longer cable runs
- no electrolytic capacitors in the signal path
- sealed gold contact relays for all signal switching
- large two color, bi-phase LED peak indicator
- regulated linear power supply with custom wound toroidal transformer
- highest quality components used throughout
- five year transferable warranty on parts and labor
The m201 can be equipped with our optional ultra low-latency 24bit/192kHz A/D converter module. The A/D module is available on new m201 preamplifiers from the factory or as a factory upgrade to existing units.
With this module installed, the microphone preamplifier section or the M+S matrix can be routed to the A/D converter input directly for standard recording applications. Or, with the additional analog line inputs on the A/D converter module, the mic preamplifier and A/D converter sections can be used separately, which allows for external processing to be inserted between the mic amp and the A/D converter.
With the growing popularity of passive summing networks for 'out of the box' mixing, the m201 with AD converter makes a perfect transparent make up gain amplifier with the option to insert your favorite analog EQ or compressor in the path before the A/D converter. Or, simply use the A/D converter standalone for mixing, transferring, or recording from whatever source you choose.
External synchronization to word clock or Digidesign LoopSync is available, and features our proprietary dual stage PPL with s-Lock for extremely low jitter and rock solid digital stability without the use of sample rate conversion.
The m201 A/D converter module also features two independent A/D sensitivity configurations. From the front panel interface, the user can easily switch between two calibrated settings (A) and (B), each of which can be configured to one of four provided standard A/D sensitivities.
The m201 mic preamplifier is the ultimate high fidelity 2 channel mic preamplifier. With the new A/D converter module, it becomes a powerful, flexible recording tool for any audio production environment.
- Low latency A/D converter capable of up to 24bit/192kHz operation
- Selectable input source: mic pre channels 1&2, MS matrix L-R output, and external balanced line input.
- Four output connectors: 2x AES3 on XLR, AES3-id/S/PDIF on BNC, and TOSLINK optical.
- External synchronization to word clock or DigidesignTM LoopSync
- Dual stage PLL clock recovery: Wide range low noise VCO based PLL followed by our crystal based s-Lock ultra low jitter PLL.
- Two input sensitivities selectable on the front panel, each is independently calibrated.
- 20 segment peak reading LED meters show 60dB range.
- AES3 outputs can be configured for single or dual wire operation.
- Four standard sensitivities are supported: +18dBu = 0dBFS (14dB Headroom), +20dBu = 0dBFS (16dB Headroom), +22dBu = 0dBFS (18dB Headroom), +24dBu = 0dBFS (20dB Headroom).