Lauten Audio Atlantis FC - 387 Multi-Voicing FET Large Diaphragm Vocal Microphone
The Atlantis FC-387 is a multi-voicing FET condenser Microphone with all the trimmings. Three different voices, 3 way gain switch (10db+/-) and pattern switching give the Atlantis multiple unique voices and characteristics.
With so many tricks under the hood, it’s a real workhorse, grab it out of the box, plug in and go. The Forward, Neutral and Gentle voices give distinct changes from vintage sounding mics to more modern. With the choice of omni, cardioid and figure-8 and the choice of sounds is nearly endless.
The History of Lauten Audio
Early in the 21st Century Brian Loudenslager saw an opportunity. A pedal company that would bring a unique sound to a range of contemporary microphones built with utility and versatility in mind.
He teamed up with Grammy nominated engineer and producer Mike Terry (The Eagles, Foo Fighters and Ash) and theoretical physicist Dr Charles Chen Ph.D.
Their goal was a work horse microphone that brought a unique sound to an already saturated market. The Horizon was born and since then Lauten Audio have gone on to produce a whole range of mics that definitely met the original brief.
Here’s what Lauten Audio say about the Atlantis FC-387
Multi-voicing FET studio vocal microphone
The Atlantis FC-387 is a multi-pattern and Multi-voicing large diaphragm FET studio condenser microphone. This microphone is for recordists looking for an extremely diverse, unique and modern FET sound. It offers full and rich, low and mid-range frequencies as well as smooth and unique high-mid and high frequencies no matter which voicing setting is selected.
The voicing switch makes the Atlantis an extremely diverse microphone. The options are F (Forward), N (Neutral) and G (Gentle). Forward offers a very open response and very modern, revealing sound. Neutral is a more even response with slight de-emphasis on mid and high frequencies for a more classic sound. Gentle offers the ability to tame harsh, bright or very forward sources or for a very vintage sound. As you will see below, each voicing setting has a unique frequency response; it’s like getting three microphones in one.The multi-voicing feature is an extremely powerful option when recording vocals and many other sources. No need to swap out different microphones or EQ on the way in; simply flip the switch on the rear, compare the various timbre qualities and start recording.
Unique 3-way Gain Switch
The Atlantis also features Lauten’s unique three-position attenuation and gain switch. The +10dB gain switch, which boosts the microphone’s output, makes it less dependent on preamps to achieve excellent sound. This is an excellent option when you want to hear more of the microphones internal character rather than the preamp. The -10dB Pad gives you the option to record very loud sources adding even more options to this extremely diverse microphone.
- Designed to tackle any vocalist and much more…
- Multi-voicing switch for three distinct timbres
- +10dB feature great for added presence
- -10dB pad switch to tame loud sources
- The perfect choice for both amateurs and professionals
- Cardioid, Omni and Figure-8 polar patterns
- Extra-large 31.25mm dual-diaphragm capsule
- Circuit: Solid-State low-noise FET
- Cardioid, Omni & Figure-8 polar patterns
- Type: Pressure gradient condenser
- 3 unique voicing options
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid, Omnidirectional & Figure-8
- +10dB gain
- Freq. Response: 20Hz-20KHz
- -10dB pad
- Dynamic Range: 120dB minimum
- Low noise FET
- Impedance: <200 ohms
- High resolution capacitors
- Max. SPL: 0.5%THD@1000Hz: 130dB
- Custom wound output transformer
- Self-noise level: < 12dB(A)
- Sensitivity:16mV/Pa OR -36±2dB 0dB=1V/Pa 1KHz
- Special Features: 3 unique timbre settings
- Special Features: -10 dB pad & +10dB gain
- Requires 48v Phantom power